A number of local DofE Aberdeenshire expeditions successfully ran in the late summer & autumn of 2020.
Various precautions and procedures were followed:
- Scottish Government guidance MUST be adhered to at all times
- Both participants and leaders to observe social distancing at all times
- Equipment or food must not be shared
- Transport must not be shared outwith households
- Expeditions should take place locally, avoiding popular areas
- The number of adult leaders/ assessors must be limited to 2 per team. If sharing a campsite area, no more adults than from 5 households.
To be clear:
- Each participant and Leader must be equipped with their own tent & cooking equipment (unless sharing within a household)
- DofE rule relaxations include pre-placement of equipment
- Should a team consist of any participants who are aged 18 or over the team size must be restricted to 5
The factors considered when concluding that expeditions should remain local were:
- Pressure of high visitor numbers impacting the countryside as reported to us by Cairngorm National Park, Estates and Aberdeenshire Council Ranger Service. It is vital for the future sustainability of DofE expeditions that we safeguard our good relations with the Cairngorm National Park DofE Expeditions Liaison Group
- Increased possibility campsites will already be in use by others who have not notified land management
- Impact of increased car journeys on the environment due to inability to share transport
- Parking difficulties due to increased volumes of users
- Increased volume of users reduces the ability to socially distance on path pinch points
- Risk of spreading Coronavirus between home and expedition area
- Speed & ease of returning home should anyone develop Coronavirus symptoms during the expedition
- Opportunities to take advantage of the temporary DofE flexibilities & allowances
- DofE Scotland policy encourages sustainable local expeditions where possible
At time of writing in mid January 2021, it is not known when restrictions will ease and DofE meetings or expeditions might resume. Please get in touch with the DofE Aberdeenshire team at firstname.lastname@example.org if we can support your plans in any way.
Download an example Aberdeenshire Council Risk Assessment
DofE With A Difference
Details of the temporary relaxations of rules regarding volunteering within the family, changing activities and expedition assessors
Download the “Rearranging Postponed DofE Expeditions” flyer here
Download a sample Covid-19 Expedition Risk Assessment template here.
Download a pdf of suggestions on how to support your DofE participants during the pandemic restrictions here.
Suggested Centre action plan
Other general information:
Find out about DofE training and search for courses here.
A great deal of information and resources for Leaders can be found on the main DofE website
Blank route cards, Green forms, training frameworks and much more at Expedition Downloads
Materials to promote and introduce DofE, programme planning sheets for participants & leaders, programme section ideas, section activity logsheets, residential guides etc at Programme Support Downloads
Estate contact details, Wild Country boundaries and local advice etc at Greater Cairngorm information
Please see below for documents specifically relevant to delivering the Award in Aberdeenshire:
Expedition Training Pack An invaluable 70Mb Zip file comprising expansive teaching resources organised for delivery of the Expedition Training Programme. Difficulty in downloading? Alternative sources here and here
Expedition Assessor Report Template An aide-memoire/ checklist for compiling expedition assessment notes
Assessor Reaccreditation Form EAAS8 Required of assessors every 5 years
IMPORTANT Check Suitability of a Gold Residential before participants book RESIDENTIAL – Info and Approval Form
eDofE YouTube channel Useful “how-to” videos for Participants and Leaders
Expedition paperwork process A breakdown of the notification/ approval steps for Coordinators and Expedition Leaders
Health and Wellbeing article/ local case study on benefits of DofE Award on participant’s wellbeing
Tent pitching video and other resources from the suppliers of Endurance tents
Tent Pitching video for anybody who hasn’t been camping!