Update! Single occupancy tents no longer required on DofE expeditions.
On 19th August 2021, the Scottish Government updated their guidance on outdoor expeditions:
- No limits on overnight tent occupancy
- No limits on expedition group size
- It is recommended that where possible participants do not use toilet and washing facilities at the same time as those outside their group.
- It is recommended leaders & participants be invited to undertake a Lateral Flow Device (LFD) test two days before the expedition begins
- Groups should continue to have clear arrangements in place for isolation and repatriation arrangements if required
- Relevant school Covid-19 protocols are maintained travelling to & during the expedition.
- The latest Scottish Government advice & guidance should be read in full
Download an example Covid Procedures & Risk Assessment
Consider these factors when planning expeditions:
- Anticipated high visitor numbers impacting the countryside, it is vital for the future sustainability of DofE expeditions that we safeguard our good relations with the Cairngorm National Park DofE Expeditions Liaison Group and other land managers
- Increased possibility campsites will already be in use by others who have not notified land management
- Parking difficulties due to increased volumes of users
- Speed & ease of returning home should anyone develop Coronavirus symptoms during the expedition
- Opportunities to take advantage of the temporary DofE flexibilities & allowances
- DofE Scotland policy encourages sustainable local expeditions where possible
DofE With A Difference
Details of the temporary relaxations of rules regarding volunteering within the family, changing activities and expedition assessors
Download the “Rearranging Postponed DofE Expeditions” flyer here
Download a sample Covid-19 Expedition Risk Assessment template here.
Download a pdf of suggestions on how to support your DofE participants during the pandemic restrictions here.
Suggested Centre action plan
Other general information:
Please get in touch with the DofE Aberdeenshire team at email@example.com if we can support your plans in any way.
Find out about DofE training and search for courses here.
A great deal of information and resources for Leaders can be found on the main DofE website
Blank route cards, training frameworks and much more at Expedition Downloads
Materials to promote and introduce DofE, programme planning sheets for participants & leaders, programme section ideas, section activity logsheets, residential guides etc at Programme Support Downloads
Estate contact details, Wild Country boundaries and local advice etc at Greater Cairngorm information
Please see below for documents specifically relevant to delivering the Award in Aberdeenshire:
Expedition Training Pack An invaluable 70Mb Zip file comprising expansive teaching resources organised for delivery of the Expedition Training Programme. Difficulty in downloading? Alternative sources here and here
Expedition Assessor Report Template An aide-memoire/ checklist for compiling expedition assessment notes
Assessor Reaccreditation Form EAAS8 Required of assessors every 5 years
IMPORTANT Check Suitability of a Gold Residential before participants book RESIDENTIAL – Info and Approval Form
eDofE YouTube channel Useful “how-to” videos for Participants and Leaders
Expedition paperwork process A breakdown of the notification/ approval steps for Coordinators and Expedition Leaders
Health and Wellbeing article/ local case study on benefits of DofE Award on participant’s wellbeing
Tent pitching video and other resources from the suppliers of Endurance tents
Tent Pitching video for anybody who hasn’t been camping!